CRESTWOOD MIDDLE SCHOOL
PHYSICAL EDUCATION POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
GRADES 6, 7, 8
Instructors: Mrs. Thigpen and Mr. Vanags
To CMS Parents and Students,
We have prepared this information for both parents and students of our grading policy for physical education. We all need to work together with an understanding of what is expected of our students. With this understanding, our physical education program will offer the best possible learning environment for all students. Please keep this information in a safe place where it can be referred to anytime throughout the school year. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at
330-274-2249 or email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CMS Physical Education Goals:
- To provide a well-rounded program in the areas of fitness, endurance, and conditioning.
- To help students obtain basic sport skills necessary to participate successfully in group and individual activities.
- To provide opportunities in learning how to cooperate with others and the ability to take direction.
- To provide an atmosphere where students can enjoy movement, gain a positive self-concept and be able to carry their interest over into a lifetime of activities.
Activities Offered in Physical Education:
Physical Fitness test, Volleyball, Pickle Ball, Four Square, Softball, Flag Football, Tennis, Floor Hockey, Badminton, Wrestling, Speed Ball, Soccer, Basketball, Tumbling, Dance, Angle Ball, Cornhole, Shuffle Board, Ping Pong, Bocce, Various Fitness Activities, Group Games (kickball, wiffle ball, mat ball, etc.)
Rules and Policies:
All students are expected to change into activity clothes and gym shoes to receive full credit for each class. The outfit should consist of:
- Shorts or sweatpants-these must be different from the items worn to school. NO blue jeans or spandex. Shorts must be seen at all times. Clothes must follow school dress code, undergarments may not be visible.
- Shirt- must be long enough to be tucked in, and must have sleeves, no midriff seen, no tank tops, undergarments may not be visible.
- Shoes and socks-NO sandals, crocs, boots, or backless shoes of any kind. Shoes must be tied and stay on feet at all times. Socks must also be worn in physical education class.
- Deodorant-Must have roll-on or white deodorant. Sprays and glass bottles are unacceptable for school and will be confiscated.
- If a student forgets their clothes-clothes will be provided if a student forgets their clothes. They must see their teacher to get clothes. It is helpful to keep an extra set in your hall locker to avoid having to borrow from the school. Each time clothes are issued to a student by the teacher, the student will receive half-credit for the day.
Participation: All students are expected to participate unless there are excused.
Medical/Parental Excuses: A student can be excused from physical education by a parent up to one week. Parents are to write a note stating the reason their child must be excused. A phone number or email must also be written on the note. A parent note cannot exceed the policy written in the student handbook. Any excuse lasting more than one week, MUST be written by a DOCTOR. The note from a doctor must state activities that are limited or should be avoided.
Locker Rooms: Locker rooms are provided for both boys and girls. Lockers are available for use only during class. Personal belongings are not to be stored in the locker room. Also, locks are not permitted on the lockers. We do not have enough lockers for every student. So we ask that each day, every student bring their clothes with them to class and take them as they leave. Clothes must be stored in their own hall locker. Students must wait to exit the locker room either by the bell or to be dismissed by the teacher. NOONE is permitted in the gym unsupervised.
Jewelry/Valuables: Jewelry is NOT permitted at any time during class. This includes; watches, rings, bracelets, necklaces, chains and large hoop or dangling earrings. Post earrings are tolerated. Students are strongly advised not to bring things of value with them to class such as money. The instructors are NOT responsible for any items left on the stage, in the locker room or in the instructor’s office.
Gum- For safety reasons, gum is NOT permitted during class.
Use of Equipment-Handling of equipment and entering the equipment room will only be allowed if given permission by the instructor. Students handling equipment without permission will be given a verbal warning and possible reduction of points if the behavior continues.
Personal Behavior- Each student is expected to be in their attendance spot when entering the gym. Horseplay and disrespect will not be tolerated. Points can be deducted from daily grade.
- Refusing to dress will result in writing the class rules or writing an essay explaining the importance of being responsible for your own success in this class. Points will be reduced.
- Put-downs-any time there is a put-down in class a verbal warning will be issued and an apology will be accepted. Points will be reduced.
- Depending on the severity of the behavior-students may be asked to produce a list of appropriate ways to show respect and how to be successful in class. Points will be reduced.
- Repeat offenders-will be removed from class and given an office referral and/or parent will be contacted. Points will be reduced.
- “Classroom helpers” will be chosen each day for those who follow student expectations.
- “Students of the week” will be recognized for their caring character and display of respect.
- “Fun Friday activities” will be offered when the class demonstrates proper behavior.
Grading: In order to comply with the new State Standard for Physical Education, 3 points can be earned each day in class. Failure to follow rules may reduce the student’s points for that day. Participation, dressing, stretching, running and following directions will all be taken into consideration when assessing your daily grade. Written tests may also be given during the grading period.
I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR PHYSICAL EDUCATION CLASS. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS FORM MUST BE SIGNED AND TURNED IN TO MY TEACHER THE FIRST WEEK OF CLASS IN ORDER TO RECEIVE POINTS FOR THE FIRST DAY OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION CLASS.
STUDENT SIGNATURE ____________________________________
PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGNATURE __________________________________________
PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER NAME: _________________________
PHYSICAL EDUCATION CLASS PERIOD ____________________________